Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 76

Thread: what is driving your altecs?

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Model 19's driven by home brew transformer coupled PP300B amps with Citation II OPT's.
    Santana's driven by Heath W5M modified with 6B4G.
    904-8A duplexes driven by a similar pair of Heath W5M.

    Ron

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member
    what is driving your altecs?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm embarrassed by all you guys- right now I just have an old Harmon Kardon 70's vintage receiver... when I get it benched I am switching to a mint condition Heath AR-1500 I got for 30 bucks at the flea market.

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...7/AR-1500A.jpg

    Just old garden variety 846b's with some tuning.

    For what I listen to- mostly Blues and Blues rock...it wails.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    On deck at the moment,

    1. Altec 9444A/SA
    2. Altec M500s
    3. I'll elaborate on the question that has mostly been ignored....why that amp?....because it only does the job I ask of it, which is to amplify a signal. It doesn't sing along, make a statement, or inspire critique. It doesn't sound warm, cold, open, closed, musical, lyrical, or magical, in fact the only sound I can attribute directly to it is the soft murmur of the fan. It doesn't contain any "audiophile grade" components, just the industry standard Spragues, CDEs, etc. No precious metals, gemstones, chrome plating, or fancy housing. Counting the initial minor repair parts, it cost me less than $100. Totally unimpressive, and basically an invisible, "fugettaboutit" amp. Just the way I like it. forums

  4. #14
    Inactive Member vintageboris's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2008
    Posts
    47
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I play as well in the "unspectacular" league:

    Marantz 2245 receiver, driving a pair of 9872 on the direct channel and a pair of "Alesis Monitor One", on the "remote channel". Those give me just the right amount of lower bass that cannot be reproduced by the Altecs.

    Mainly old-fashioned vinyl records (well, LPs) playback by Hitachi HT500/Grado (a very decent direct drive turntable from the 80s).

    Yeah, my Deep Purple, ELP, Hendrix & Coltrane, as well as Glenn Gould records rock!

  5. #15
    Inactive Member timp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2007
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My system is simple.

    414/806a and homemade crossovers. I drove many of you crazy in the process of putting them together. forums

    Home made 12sn7 pre and 12ax7/6dj8 phonostage based on Kuei's design (I think his real name is Thorsten). The tubes are sitting on top of electrical boxes which I bought from home depot (cheap!)

    And Eico HF14s.

    I would describe my system as a fat and ugly soprano singer. If you know what I mean...
    forums

  6. #16
    Inactive Member timp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2007
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey Boris

    Jon Lord on Hammond was lovely. Emerson of course, I saw twice with Lake and Palmer. Gould playing Bach. They are indeed great keyboardists.

    Tim

  7. #17
    Hostboard Member Davidg's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 20th, 2007
    Posts
    76
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Main system; GPA 604-8H-II in Billfort style cabs.
    Pre-amp; Threshold SL-10
    Power amp Threshold 400A

  8. #18
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Aside-

    On the Harmony Central site (musical gear reviews), a final question is "what would you do if it was stolen?".

    In my case, a thief would have to be pretty diligent to even get to the 9444...if he needs it that bad, he can have it. I got another. Might even send him a thank you card for clearing a new path. No need for insurance, kids and critters can go wild with no worries. forums

  9. #19
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    +1 on the Dynaco ST-70 with Curcio Mods

    Link to ST70 Restoration

  10. #20
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have several different things that I want to try and use on different cabs when I have the time to play (not much time usually)

    Right now it's a Yamaha receiver on my Model 14's and model 6's (front and rear channels of home theater)

    In the wings, I have a set of 604-8G's andsome 9440A'a, an Adcom GFA545, older Yamaha R9 receiver, I want to try them all in different configurations. I used to have an old Eico tube amp, but traded somebody a LONG time ago for something that I can't even remember what it was. I wish I had it back.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.